A practical course for parents following their child’s diagnosis of Autism
We are proud to be offering the next group, just for parents: What Next?
An autism diagnosis can be difficult to come to terms with. You may be coping with a diagnosis you know very little about, and trying to find new ways for everyone to live together and feel supported.
Moving on from a diagnosis can seem daunting, but we’re here to help. Our “What Next?” group explores the next steps after your child’s diagnosis. Our groups are run by highly qualified clinical psychologists and speech and language therapists, with many years’ experience of working with children and young people with autism.
We are proud to offer a two-week course, providing an opportunity to meet other parents and carers, to explore various topics to help increase your understanding of your child’s autism, develop your appreciation of the positives of neurodiversity, and develop strategies to respond to difficulties.
Please note that there has been a slight change from our brochures, which describe a four-week course. Following your feedback, we have adapted this next course to a two-week course, but with longer sessions. We are also running this course on a weekend. We hope that you are able to join us.
- What is Autism?
- Sensory differences
- Repetitive and restricted interests and behaviours
- Understanding behaviour and the Arousal Cycle
- Time with other people
- Anxiety and stress
- Puberty and independence
- Planning for the future
Location and Amenities
- The group will likely be at a North Manchester venue (Whitefield / Prestwich). Will will confirm the location as soon as possible.
- Our first group was at:
122 Bury New Road
- Free WiFi and parking will be available
- 09:30am – 10:00am – Arrive for a small breakfast, tea & coffee
- 10:00am – 11:00am – Session 1
- 11:00am – 11:30am – Break, with tea, coffee & refreshments
- 11:30am – 12:30pm – Session 2
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm – Lunch, with food & refreshments
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm – Session 3
- 2:30pm – 3:00pm – Summary of the day
- Week 1: Saturday 18 November
- Week 2: Saturday 18 November
- Our group is charged at £700, for two parents or carers
- This cost includes all the materials, workbooks, and resources, and guidance from our clinical psychologists and speech and language therapists. We will be available between sessions too.
- Our group has been designed to be an “all-in-one package”, meaning that we don’t offer an option to choose which sessions to attend. If you can’t make it every week, perhaps our next group will be more suitable.