Dr. Ellen Mackey
Ellen has worked in the NHS for over 12 years and continues to work part-time in an NHS CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) for children with a diagnosis of Autism and/or Learning Disability. Ellen also has experience of working with schools to support proactive approaches to mental wellbeing for children, families and school staff. Ellen has skills and training to work with young people with and without a diagnosis of Autism or Learning disability, as every young person needs different adaptations to support their engagement in therapy.
Ellen undertook her undergraduate degree (BSc hons) in Psychology at The University of Nottingham, and her Doctoral training (DClinPsy) at The University of Hertfordshire. Ellen stayed in Hertfordshire after qualifying, specialising in working with children and young people who have Autism and/or a Learning Disability.
Ellen works integratively, meaning that she can draw on ideas from different models to help collaboratively find a helpful way forward. The main models that Ellen works with include Systemic (Family) Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Positive Behaviour Support (PBS).
Ellen works with parents/ guardians and/or young people to improve quality of life, which might include support for:
- Low mood
- Emotional regulation
- Emotionally based school avoidance
- Behaviours that can be challenging
- Understanding the strengths, differences and difficulties for the child and family
- Neurodiversity affirmative post-diagnostic understanding
- Support to siblings of a young person with additional needs
Ellen is available for online appointments or face to face appointments in the St Albans area, Hertfordshire.
Ellen is a registered Practitioner Psychologist with the HCPC (registration number: PYL32457)
- Psychology (BSc with Honours)
The University of Nottingham
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy)
The University of Hertfordshire
- Advanced Certificate in Systemic Practice
Institute of Family Therapy
- Postgraduate Certificate in CYP-IAPT Supervision
Kings College London